How To Build An Automatic Compost Sifter/Trommel Using A Cement Mixer & Trash Can https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwmoHlE_OGk
Simple and profound! We have a cement mixer that just sits and waits for us 99.9% of the time. We are thinking potting soil and worm castings. We could slow the mixer down not to damage the worms and "Boom" we are in business! We are starting the worm farm this week using plastic totes and will be collecting the castings and humic acid to start plants. Please see Geoff Lawton's video: Compost Worm Farming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ozNM-Hb0w We bought 2000 red wigglers to get started. I'll have the grandkids help collect nightcrawlers at night... that will be fun and add to our worm collection. Compost to potting soil by making our own, now we're talking! In our flower business we will need lots of potting soil. Really liked this DIY video!
This homemade compost sifting machine can be built at a fraction of the cost vs store bought turn key models using readily available materials and just a few basic tools. Save time, money and your back as you sift through tons of compost, soil, woodchips etc. The end product is a beautiful finely processed compost perfect for planters, seedlings, amending new garden beds, making compost tea, re-filling raised beds. Greg Smith Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLIlj...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtlBb...
Here is a complete materials list for this build:
(1) Harbor Freight 3-1/2 Cubic Ft. Cement Mixer: https://www.harborfreight.com/search?...
(1) Witt Industries EXP-52RD Steel 48-Gallon Outdoor Waste Receptacle: https://amzn.to/2SYgzha (I paid... currently $179.00. Check all colors for best price)
1) 1/4-In. Galvanized Mesh Hardware Cloth: https://amzn.to/2T3cKrm
(1) 6 ft. 2 X 4 (6) 1-1/2 in. Anchor Points
(6) 1/4 in. X 7-3/4 in. Turnbuckle Hook/ Hook or Eye/Hook
(2) Rubber Caster Wheel with Rigid Non-Swivel Top Plate - 3-Inch(2) 3/4 in. x 48 in. Round Steel Stake
(2) Blue Hawk 4-cu ft Steel Wheelbarrow (Purchased from Lowes)
(2) 3/8 in. X 4 in. Eye Hook
(12) 1/4 in. X 1/2 in. Hex Bolts
(8) 1/4 in. X 2 in. HexBolts
(20) 1/4 in. Nylon Lock Nuts
(20) 1/4 in. Flat Washers
(1) Bag of Zip Ties
(1) Drain Cover for Waste Container
And Here The The Tools Needed:DrillPhillips Head Screwdriver or Drill Attachment7/32 Metal Drill Bit5/16 Metal Drill Bit3/8 Metal Drill Bit1 in. Wood Drill Bit11 mm Socket & Wrench11 mm Metric Combination WrenchCircular or Hand Saw