Our chosen building material is tough stuff and inexpensive!
Sledgehammer Test On Epic Brick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fc6ZXXNUE4Sledgehammer Test On Epic Brick. Expanded Polystyrene Paper Infused Cement (EPIC)
8 Irresistible Reasons To Build with Expanded Polystyrene Infused Cement "EPIC":
1. LOW COST: Perhaps the most obvious reason to build with EPIC is the enormous amount of money it will save you in construction, maintenance, keeping you cool during the summer and warm in the winter. It is lightweight and does not impose a heavy load, which is good when floating on the water. EPIC is simply one of the most useful, high-quality, low-cost materials there is. It plays a double function as a structure and insulator. You can form it to any thickness to suit your climate. It eliminates the need for aggregates, gravel, sand, or rock, which are costly, take up space on-site, require heavy equipment to deliver and utilize, and require hard labor. Domes are very energy efficient. They enclose the most area with the least material. 40% of the energy loss in conventional structures is around the thermal bridges where studs, floors, and roofs meet the exterior walls. There are no thermal bridges in a structurally reinforced EPIC dome home. The seamless integration of floor, walls, and roof eliminates outside air penetration, which allows the natural flow of interior convection currents that make it easier to heat and cool. We actually might need a heat exchanger to get needed oxygen into the floating home.
2. Ecology: If you are concerned with our ecology, EPIC will have a unique appeal to you. EPIC has gained recognition as an ecological building material because of it is resource efficiency. It reduces environmental impact is getting better as greener alternatives to Portland cement continue to be developed. No maintenance is required after placement. We will mix in 6% by volume charcoal. The charcoal will turn the walls into an air filter, removing mold and allergens. Charcoal sequesters CO2 for 1000s of years, which will help address climate change. We recycle expanded polystyrene, a waste stream that lasts 500 years in a landfill and has limited economic value. We also intend to use hemp fibers that are 20x stronger than wood fibers in the mix. Hope Floats is exploring graphene as an additive that increases the strength of concrete by 30-40%.
Building Homes With Hemp – An Incredible Natural Insulation & Sustainable Material… – Eco Snippets
http://www.ecosnippets.com/environmental/building-home-with-hemp-an-incredible-natural-insulation-sustainable-material/Anthony from Art du Chanvre has built over 45 houses using hempcrete as a natural and sustainable insulation material. Hempcrete is made with a mix of hemp hurds (fiber), hydraulic lime (binder), and water. Hempcrete is not load-bearing, but it does provide insulation, thermal mass, and it regulates temperature and humidity. The R-value of hempcrete is R-2.1 per inch. Some other advantages of hempcrete is that it resists fire, mold, and vermin, and it eliminates the need for a vapor barrier and drywall.
3. FIREPROOF: A small flame can become an inferno very quickly in a conventional wooden home. Once fire penetrates the thin walls, the spaces between the studs act like chimneys that allow the fire to spread through the entire structure quickly. Even if the fire doesn't destroy your stick frame house, the fire department will during the process of trying to extinguish the fire. EPIC is fireproof. We can also build a rocket stove/ furnace/pizza oven with it. It will not burn!
4. WATER RESISTANT: Water damage is a constant threat to wood, adobe, cob, straw bale, compressed earth, and even metal buildings. EPIC is not harmed by water. The freeze-thaw cycle will not damage EPIC. Yes, you can build a boat with it. It will not rot, rust, or decompose in water. You might want to cover your home with vegetation! Put a sprinkler on top to keep it moist and cool in the summer, no problem!
5. PEST PROOF: Insects and rodents are annoying threats. They find every nook, crack, and cranny. Conventional homes are riddled with seams, joints, and layers that invite pests. Regardless of the initial quality, as conventional homes age, it becomes more accommodating to pests. In many parts of the world, houses are fumigated with toxic chemicals to control termites, cockroaches, and other pests. It's an endless battle. I'm not sure what's worse; the pests or the chemicals. It's a hopeless situation for most houses in the tropics. With tight windows and doors, a structurally reinforced EPIC dome home is impervious to pests of all kinds and can last for centuries with very little maintenance. It's comforting to know that you can sleep soundly without the intrusion of pests.
6. SAFETY: Natural disasters, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, forest fires, floods, volcanic eruptions - you name it, a dome is the most robust structural shape bar none. The fragile shell of an egg would crumble under the slightest pressure if it were flat. Its incredible strength comes from a dome shape. A dome is strong because it distributes forces equally in all directions throughout its entire surface. Architects and engineers have known this for centuries. Some of the oldest standing buildings in the world are domes. That's why they cover some of the world's most prominent buildings, like the US capital, state capitals, cathedrals, temples, and mosques. "Sick house syndrome" is a term used to describe the ailments caused by the off-gassing of modern construction materials. EPIC is inert. It's composed of limestone and other natural materials. And it's a good base for the application of interior natural plasters.
7. ELEGANCE: There is something intangible, freeing, and uplifting that soothes your soul the moment you step into one of our dome homes. The feminine, graceful arches, round windows, and oval doorways are inspiring. They give you a sense of expansion as though you have entered a sacred space. Structurally reinforced EPIC domes are extraordinary, and they provide something that conventional rectangular buildings simply cannot. It also has excellent sound and thermal insulation.
Our designs are in accord with sacred geometry, the golden spiral.
When we live in a box, it limits our functionality. We naturally feel alive in a dome. Your dome home will surround you with a certain sense of serenity.
8. EASE: Most creatures build their home in a day. Yet many of us spend the best years of our lives in debt paying off our homes. It doesn't have to be this way. Building a structurally reinforced EPIC dome home is easily achievable for most people, especially if you do it with others. The building process is easy to learn, and the tools we provide do most of the work for you. Work becomes play when we help each other. It will be one of your life's most memorable events. Building your own home is a profoundly satisfying accomplishment that too few people experience. The greatest joy will come from living in it on the water! Put your dome on a float, and "Boom!" you have a houseboat!
Watch for our workshops beginning in 2022.